I can’t remember where I came across the original recipe many years ago, but I have made it my own over the years. It is easy and quick to make, it is healthy, and you can make it ahead of time. Did I mention it is delicious?
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- 3 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mayo
- 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1 ½ cup Moscato d’ Asti
- 4 cups cubed cantaloupe or muskmelon
- Cayenne Pepper
- In a medium bowl, stir the shallot and chives into 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice. Whisk in the olive oil and mayo and fold in the crab. Season with salt, white pepper, and cayenne.
- Add the melon and the remaining lemon juice, season lightly with salt and puree.
- Mound the crab in the center of 4 shallow bowls. Pour the soup around the crab and serve right away.
|Can you spot my little helper?|
SIDEBAR: Moscato d'Asti is a semi-sweet, lightly sparkling (frizzante) wine made from Moscato grapes. It comes from vineyards around the town of Asti, in the south-eastern part of Piedmont; North-western Italy. With its crisp freshness, elegant floral aromas and delicate flavors of peaches and apricots, Moscato d'Asti is one of Italy's most popular wines. The wine is sweet and low in alcohol, and often enjoyed with dessert.
** If you don’t want to use Moscato d'Asti, you can use a simple syrup instead. Combine 2 Tbps. Sugar and 2 Tbsp. water. In a small saucepan, boil the water with the sugar. Let cool before adding to the blender.
- I’m guessing you can tell my addition of cayenne; I love the sweet and spicy combination. In hindsight, some fresh jalapenos and maybe some cilantro would be really good mixed in with the crab. There are a lot of possibilities.
- If I am going to eat it right away, I will add a few ice cubes to blender with the soup so that it is cold. Otherwise, I just chill the soup for a couple hours before I plan to serve it. The melon soup can be refrigerated overnight if you want to make it ahead of time.
- I love having this for lunch or dinner on a hot summer day. It can be served as a meal or as a first course.